View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yas_XD
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370z Touring
Yas_XD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leingod View Post
I've been storing mine in cold storage for the past 6 years.

1) inflate to 40psi. I don't bother with cradles. It's a non-heated building that'll go down into the negatives and I've never suffer flat spots on the tires. Firehawk indy 500s btw for reference.

2) a few dryer sheets inside the cabin and hatch. Helps reduce weird smells without being obnoxious.

3) crack the windows slightly.

4) leave car in neutral if manual and do not use e-brake. Chalk the car obviously if you go this route.

5) steel wool in tail pipes and decon or other pesticide around the car to keep critters out.

6) disconnect the battery. You lose your radio and clock, but that's it. I've never had any noticeable impact on performance after reconnecting and this is from someone running a custom tune.

7) car cover, but make sure the car is spotless. If you put the cover on with dust still on the car, it could micro scratch the paint voer time.

8) change oil before it goes into into storage and after you pull it out.

9) full bottle of regular stabil into the tank of 93 Oct. Let idle for 5 minutes and you're good to go.

10) take photos of it in storage if you're storing it in a public place. And write down mileage.
Thanks for the great feedback. A couple follow-up questions:

My car is auto so I was planning to put it into neutral, then enable the e-Brake, then put it into park for storage? I usually do this when I park anyway because I read going into neutral first before enabling the e-brake, then putting it into park puts the least strain on the car. Maybe you can confirm? Or perhaps it's different for storage?

I have been using 91 oct gas, do I use 93 strictly for storage? Or can I do the 91 as I have been doing?

My car will be parked in a non-heated garage (though it's mostly insulated) still does get cold in there during the harshest winter days, and will be parked on concrete. Not sure what tires I have but they appear to be wide performance tires. Maybe I should just go with some inch thick rubber mats below each tire instead of full-fledged flatstoppers?

I have driven it about 1500km since the last oil change. Does that impact people's recommendations to change it out for winter storage? Seems like I have barely driven it since the swap. It was MOBIL ONE 5W-30 oil.

Thanks again my man. Appreciate the info. And to everyone else. This is very useful.

Last edited by Yas_XD; 10-12-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Yas_XD is offline   Reply With Quote