View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #5982 (permalink)
takemorepills
Base Member

Drives: Q60 3.7 AWD
takemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
I posted this in the engine sub-forum:

Test drove a 2020 Q60, I prefer the sound of the VQ37

So yesterday, my wife and I test drove a 2020 Passion Red Infiniti Q60. I did this because I wanted a sneak preview of the new Z's engine, as it's already available today in the current Infiniti lineup. What better way to do it than in a two-door Infiniti finished in the same colour as my 2020 Z.

I don't want to get into things like handling here, because the Q60 will not be the Z. I just want to talk about straight line engine performance as that is what most directly qualifies as being a sneak preview to the new Z.

Is it faster, yes. Is it aurally more enjoyable to drive. NO.

Yes you can chalk some of it up to the Q60s automatic transmission versus the excellent 6-speed in my current car.

But man, the whirring sounds of the VQ37 are what make it the best sounding and most enjoyable V6 on the planet. Sadly, the twin-turbo 3.0 lacks all of that character and makes me really wish Nissan would continue offering the current VQ37 in the new Z as a lower priced base trim level to keep the base entry level price down. I would take a VQ37 trim level, not because it's cheaper, but because of the aural experience. The only way to beat the sensory experience of the VQ is with a V8 or higher.

Numbers on an Excel spreadsheet is not what gives us enjoyment; rather its how a car arouses our senses. Automatic is faster than manual. The 3.0TT is faster than the VQ37. But I'd take the slightly slower, more sensual option any day of the week.
I have the "Infiniti Sports Exhaust" on my VQ37 Q60. It sounds AMAZING.
My 2 good friends have faster cars than mine, a Tesla 3 and a CTS V Sport TT V6. But the Q60 sounds 10x better than the CTS and 1,000,000x better than the Tesla!!
On a good weather day with the windows down, the VQ with a good exhaust sounds amazing. I've even had C7 Corvette drivers feel the need to rev their V8s on me when they hear the VQ uncorked, all in good fun I'm sure.

But, I have also hear the VR30 with aftermarket exhaust, and it sounds very good too.

My last car was a German turbo car with a piggy back tuner. It was also in the shop frequently, my Q60 has been very reliable and never needs to be in the shop, so I am enjoying that.
But, I seriously miss the torque of a modern turbo engine, and how easily you can crank up the power.
The VR has some very good tuning options like JB4 and downpipes that make the car much faster for relatively low cash layout. So far, Q50/60 owners are getting good gains and good reliability from their cars.

When my 13 y/o son found out I intend to buy the new 300Z TT, he asked me to keep the Q60 for him to use when he gets old enough, he seems to be very fond of the car. These VQ cars are excellent, but I'll be glad to upgrade to a VR.
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote