View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyber370
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Nismo 6MT
Cyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habofro View Post
Alright so, a few weeks ago, I started to notice a rattlesnake sound coming from the outside of the car. At first, I thought it was just brake shims that were rubbing on the disk and making that sound but, turns out, it's linked directly to the engine's RPM.

From what I've noticed, it seems like it's not as intense when the engine oil is at around 90c or above.

Any idea what that sound could be? What should I check?

Most importantly, IS MY ENGINE OR TRANS GOING TO BLOW UP?
Firstly, what engine oil (viscosity and type) are you using. If you don’t know then change it immediately to a good 5W30 synthetic. The engine’s VVET system is known to make slight rattling noise. Good synthetic oil should help. Or you can try the Nissan Ester oil which was specially developed for our engine to reduce the noise that the VVET can make.

Second thing that can rattle is the clutch. Try revving with the clutch depressed. If it goes away, then it’s the clutch and you’ll either learn to live with it or change it.

I would start with that. By the way, both of those items are no cause for alarm. They’re just annoyances you get from a high performance car with little to no sound proofing.