Thread: Trunk release
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
BoilardZ
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z
BoilardZ is on a distinguished road
Default Trunk release

So, I decided to combine two unpopular mods into something that I think is justifiable:

Unpopular mod #1: Adding an inside trunk release. Yes, I know, you still have to physically raise the trunk lid once it's unlatched. But if you're receiving a curbside delivery (which is something that now happens a lot with Covid rules), it's nice to be able to pop the trunk without getting out.

Unpopular mod #2: Installing an S-mode button in the blank space on non-sport models. Yes, I know the button won't do anything. But it looks better than a blank space.

Now if you combine these two, you can use your new S-mode button to pop the trunk! It's got good looks and functionality! I did this today in a few hours. The S mode button is perfect, since it's a simple one-pole, momentary switch, which is exactly what's needed for the trunk release. I got the button from a Nissan dealer., and I tapped into the trunk release wire in the BCM, following instructions elsewhere on the forum. (The pin location is attached; Credit to ChrisSlicks, who posted this in 2010.) All the switch has to do is momentarily ground this pin, and the trunk is released.

The switch works whether the car is on or off. But it will not work if the car is locked, which is a nice feature I think.
Attached Images
File Type: png BCM overview.png (73.0 KB, 43 views)
BoilardZ is offline   Reply With Quote