View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #680 (permalink)
cupcakez
Track Member

Drives: 2009-7AT-Base-Coup
cupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond reputecupcakez has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys! Been a while since I've been on these forums and updated this thread.

Good news is that the car has been running fine, no known issues for at least 7 - 8 months now ever since it was fixed by my mechanic in February.

One thing I just wanted to touch upon and ask about is the following:

Okay. I just took the vehicle for a drive. Here's what I found:

(1) It only makes a rapid tapping noise when it's in the same gear and the revvs get higher (the tapping gets faster as the revvs get higher in the same gear)

(2) As soon as it changes gear (via automatically or manually), the tapping stops and kind of "resets" itself into the next gear. And in the next gear up, it will make the tapping noise again until it either switches to a higher gear or stays at an idle RPM.

(3) I tried manual mode, and stayed in gear 1 for a while and the tapping noise got faster and louder as the RPM's went up.

(4) After warming up the engine's oil to about 200 - 220 degrees from a lot of stop and go driving in the city, I parked the car and revved it in park mode and I could hear the rapid tapping noise again --> The higher RPM I went, the faster it got.

(5) I tried the same thing as (4) in Neutral mode, and got the exact same result.

(6) I tried to find out where the tapping noise was coming from exactly, but I can't really tell with just me in the car and without anyone else to help me listen to find the possible source(s) of it.

(7) The tapping noise does not occur in idle, park mode, neutral mode, or just rolling down the hill. ONLY when I am raising the RPM's while the vehicle is fully turned on.

NOTE: I've had this tapping noise for the longest time now, and I didn't think anything of it. It hasn't caused any known vital negative or positive issues, it's just a random noise that is just ... annoying because I don't know where it is coming from.

Any ideas on what this could be? Maybe just something neutral is hitting against something else which is why I haven't had any issues with the car since Feb? Or nah?

I have a short video clip of the noise example I'm talking about, but I don't know how to upload videos here,