View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
kbc749
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z 6MT
kbc749 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on this item.

When I dropped the transmission yesterday I found that 4 of the 9 pressure plate bolts had rattled loose. I reconfirmed that I did torque them to the proper 29 ft lbs originally but I did not apply any loctite. The CSC was also pretty shot but that is to be expected since it was not replaced when I did the clutch and flywheel back in December.

Z1 has informed me that they use red loctite on those bolts. I see that Zspeed recommends blue loctite. My understanding is that red is never supposed to come out after being applied so I did not decide to go with red.

I cleaned up the threads of the bolts and bolt holes for the pressure plate mounting bolts, applied loctite to all 9 bolts, and torqued them to spec.

I couldn't find any visible damage to the Clutch, Flywheel, or pressure plate. So it seems like the issues were coming from a loose pressure plate and a dying CSC because of the uneven surface it was pressing against.

The CMAK kit has been ordered and I am optimistic that everything will be okay. I will repost to this forum post if anything goes awry during the reinstallation or subsequent test drives.

Let this be a lesson to all of those folks out there. If you have clutch behavior that changes between engine on / engine off, maybe your pressure plate bolts are loose!