View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
kbc749
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z 6MT
kbc749 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible HD CSC Failure or Transmission Failure

Hello everyone. I have a problem and I am looking for someone with personal experience to help me understand my problem and my solution options.

I was at a track day earlier this month and I started losing clutch pressure. So I came off the track and I checked my RJM pedal and noticed that the AFP adjustment Allen bolts were loose. I tightened those bolts and adjusted the friction point of the clutch rod and everything seemed okay so I went back out.

Next run; everything is okay in the pits, I get on track and drive about 2 corners and all clutch movement is gone again.

I had noticed over the past week or so that my friction point of the clutch engagement was moving around a bit but that is sort of “normal” at this point. But at the track day it become impossible to shift or enter any gears.

So I was able to get the car home. I was able to purchase and install a replacement master cylinder and now I have a similar, repeatable problem.

-The clutch system is fully bled, the pedal is heavy and I can feel it moving the clutch inside of the trans.
-clutch in
-Engine start.
-I can freely shift into any gear BUT the engagement point is down at the very bottom.
(I have adjusted to 0% AFP and the highest possible clutch engagement point on the master cylinder rod)
-once you let the clutch out fully, all clutch actuation is lost. While the engine is running, I cannot engage/disengage the clutch at all. I cannot enter any gear. The pedal feel changes and becomes lighter.
-engine off
-pedal feel returns after a few pumps to being quite heavy and I can hear the clutch moving again.

Now before you go saying the normal “your CSC is dead” please read my mod list:
-RJM Performance Rev3 Clutch Pedal Assembly
-RBF600 (brand new for the track day and brand new for this master cylinder replacement)
-Brand New Nissan OEM master cylinder
-ZSpeed HD CSC installed maybe 50,000 miles ago.
-Z1 6 puck clutch and pressure plate installed in the last year with less than 10k miles since install.
Nissan dealership installed the HD CSC 50,000 miles ago but I did all the other work.

I am thinking the HD CSC is dying but I cannot understand why this changes when the engine is running. Which is leading me to wonder if it is something else. I am concerned about there being another potential problem due to the behavior not matching the normal "dead CSC behavior" that we all know and love.

Any advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

I am basically considering replacing the Internal CSC with the CMAK Kit from ZSpeed or the Z1 CSC Delete kit. I am not sure which one is better but I know A LOT of people have the CMAK kit and I haven't heard of anyone running the Z1 kit.