View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #5643 (permalink)
Ventruck
Track Member

Drives: '13 Sport+Touring M6
Ventruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...ealed-gallery/

Seeing this car at different angles helped reveal a few things. Hips aren't as washed out as I first perceived. I get this is more Z32 and S30 inspired, but I'll miss the exaggeration of the leading edge of our rear wheels wells. This does have a nice transition. It's just different. The rear quarter is so far my favorite segment.

I feel like the trailing edge of the front fender/wheel well is missing, though. It's a little too straight looking, but I get again the point that it's trying to capture a different generation of Z than ours.

Biggest problem with the nose imo is the grill is too vertical and tall at the same time.

Tailights seem too much of a modern retro pony car move. Not bad, but feel like it was just done for token sake.

Would've been nice if the plane view of the roof tapered more at the rear. Maybe a little too wide/flat for my tastes. Hard to tell if the "katana" accents and contrast coloring are just making it appear so for now.

It's honestly nice. There is some coherent design language but I think much of my underwhelmed impression was just being fixated on imagining going further in same the direction as the Z34. It's just a different direction here. Really only thing I don't like is the grill cutout + angle.

I realize I'm a Z34 owner on a Z34 forum, and I do get critical of people just having low self esteem that they're progressing into being a "past generation" and therefore retro grouches....but I am clinging onto how the Z34 had certain exaggerations and apart from roofline, it kinda wasn't following any rules with the lineage and more pushed to be itself. The Nismo V1 will stay a very good looking car for like, ever imo.

And I feel like that's the argument against having this upcoming model draw backwards with inspiration: the Z32 was trying to do the opposite - be different.

Last edited by Ventruck; 09-15-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Ventruck is offline   Reply With Quote