View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyzilla View Post
Thanks for the response! You touched on some great points. Now for my review. I feel like I'm going to get flamed for this.

On Friday the wifey and I met up at our local BMW dealer after work. She immediately pointed out one of their display cars and said, "ohh I like that. Can we get that instead?" It was a BMW M8 LOL. Anyways, we got into the M2. First thing I noticed is I couldn't really get into a perfect seating position. I wasn't sure if it's because I'm so used to being slung back and sitting low in my Z, but after some adjustments I made it work. The clutch was very soft, a little too soft for my liking. I suppose that's good for DDing especially in traffic. The gearbox was rubbery? Can't really explain it, but it wasn't as direct as I would have liked it. The exterior and interior look great to me, and the car sounds amazing from the outside. However, I barely heard the down shifts when driving which I absolutely love about my Z. I think the most underwhelming thing about the entire driving experience was, to me, it felt like the electronics were doing most of the work. It felt like driving a computer. The steering wheel was so numb. Whereas the Z provides direct feedback and you actually have to drive. Hydraulic > DriveByWire. Don't get me wrong, the M2C is fast af and quick, but my Z just felt more exhilarating.

Before I test drove, I really thought this was my next car. I really wanted to like it. Un/fortunately, I can say I no longer aspire to own a M2C. I'm not sure if it's because I'm so used to my Z and if that feeling has spoiled me, but I just couldn't get the same feeling driving the M2C. I've driven the mustang 5.0, C5/6/7 Z06, and GT4 and those cars all seemed more fun to drive (I've never driven a better can than the GT4. Everything "they" say about the car is true.) I'm obviously in no rush nor do I WANT to go out and buy a new car, but I would like to get an idea as to what my next car will be. I don't really like the idea of garaging a car. Collecting cars would be cool, but we don't have money like that lol. If I'm going to buy a car I want to drive it everyday and have fun. This also means it has to be reasonably priced, so we don't have to worry about what DDing will naturally do to a car. This is another area where the Z shines. I think I'm just looking for a more refined version of the Z. So far, the only other car that appeals to me is the Lotus Evora. They are a bit expensive right now, but I would like to test drive that car as well. I also thought about importing something JDM like a NSX or R-32/33. The theme here is something exclusive that you don't see it often, yet reliable and affordable. Let me know if any of you have suggestions. I think the Evora has my focus right now.
A short test drive, less than a couple hours is not long enough for your leg memory to forget the other clutch effort at all. I noticed this in some of my tests. Also test the DCT model M2C as well.

After a few hours your leg adapts to the new clutch effort and movement. Also a clutch feels different after a few thousand miles/kilometers. Very sorry the M2 was not to your liking.

The 8AT in the new Supra is the same as my M235i and is to be used in the new M cars. Its so strong and can take alot more torque than you can imagine. Its amazing and was used the M235i racing model. Have fun in your search! Searches are fun!!
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote