View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyzilla View Post
Looks like we're in the same boat! I came across some older posts from MagicBus (I think) who has a M2 and Z and he really loves the M2. I wonder if he still has it. If he does, I'd be curious to know what the reliability has been for him.

Also, my brother once custom ordered a 335i with the M package from Germany about 6-7 years ago. It lasted a week and turned out to be a lemon. There was an issue they couldn't fix where the throttle would just cut off on the highway........
Needless to say, I think I'm scarred from it. Yet, I love the M2 lol
Magic and I have traded messages here. Get the M2 in either form you will be pleased. Reliability? Surf/peruse any message board/Brand or Marque site and it will be full of really unhappy people and about 20% thrilled overall.

Negative news is easy and most often provided. Honda and Toyota build 'lemon' defective vehicles. Nature of mass production with testing balanced vs development cost. They never make a perfection. Even Zonda lol

I have had both an M235i, first year production. Zero issues. Reliability is non issue. Driven firmly and always professionally maintained.

My M2 the same. Edgy and fun. More than enough power to get in trouble lol A fun and capable machine. Exceptional and reliable. I also have a 440i - Xdrive. Soon to be upgraded with factory power pak. Has been as fun and reliable.
Do not be scared to drive what you want in this life. Read less, drive more and enjoy what you drive.

The Competition model I had for a 2 day test from my dealer. Superb but it was a smoother experience than my 17 M2. Smoother in the sense that the exhaust sound was a bit less edgy, still very nice. Power was a smoother application per the M3/M4 given the motor vs the M2 of mine. The power punch comes on with a burst as boost builds in my M2. The Competition is less of a punch as it has a touch less lag. So its about what you want in the driving experience. I daily my M2 and the M235i. Some days one or the other as my wife has her days with them.

If one was to pick either I think the M2C is a smoother less edgy drive for a daily. I like the edgy 17 M2. I can see after the extended test how the M2C would be appealing. The difference in performance is not night and day but its the feel of how the power is applied. What do you like better. Again test both as you do your normal research. I love DCT. It puts the power down. My first not manual sportscar. I love and it has the feel of a manual but is faster.

The maintenance on the M2C is a bit more involved. You will have more spark plug replacements etc. I think for the US its 25k miles then replace. Same engine as the M3/M4 so that is the situation. The maintenance schedule should be evaluated in your normal research. My M235i has been like maintaining a Honda. Simple, easy. By the book nothing at all exotic.

My M2 has the same engine but upgraded. Again nothing exotic about maintenance at all. Change the oil as directed, filters etc. Keep up the alignments as you cannot rotate the wheels. Tires will degrade quickly if not properly aligned. I do 2 a year when the wheels are changed winter to summer on both. Winter time Autobahn driving is nice with fewer people
Love high performance Michelin Winter tires
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote