View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #4987 (permalink)
Tractionless
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyZ View Post
Not normally a user of snake oil (I'm looking at you, EW) but running this through the engine in between oil changes has resulted in SERIOUSLY decreased lifter chatter.
It's probably the ZDDP, which is a very effective anti friction agent and required with 2 engines I own.

I've been running Mobil 1 and notice upper end chatter in the Z near the end of the oil's life (time-wise). I put an ester additive in during the last oil change with the same M1 oil to see if ester actually helps with valvetrain noise. If that doesn't do the trick I'm going to try Liqui Moly Ceramic next.

I used another LIqui Moly additive (lower tier than their ceramic) in a high wear diesel engine I own (not one that needs ZDDP) and it's significantly quieted.

Last edited by Tractionless; 08-27-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote