View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #447 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

IG@gbrettin

Finished the crash bar, sort of. Added the last two gussets. Now I need to figure out the mount points for the radiator. Way easier than the crash bar.

----------
Same day - Not long later
----------
The bar wasn't strong up and down, but strong as heck laterally. So...Another GUSSET!!!!! WhhhhhOOOOOO....

Ok, NOW I'm done. Crash bar ready. That Maven mount looking good in the light too

-----------------------------------------------

Ok, I added the the so call "final" gusset in (noted in first IG post) and thought it was definitely stronger, crazy strong laterally, but not strong enough up and down. I was going to ask my buddy Dave about it.... except he sauntered on over to the crash bar and attempted to lift the front of the car up. The car did not lift and the crash bar was just a frail bar at that given point. SOOOOOoooo....... I added vertical strength.

After all this was done, Dave told me the shop is getting an order of chromoly and a really nice machine that bead rolls, break, shear, bends and copes bar stock.

GD man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's busy as sh1t with actual paying customers... so the likely hood of him bending a new crash bar, coping and TIG welding one is like 5%. I say 5% because it's a new toy and he may want to try it out.

However, this now means I can make a legitimate strong airbox.

On a different note...

I had to to bug my dude about an oil pan. He said he will get on it this week. He typically sticks to his word so I'm not really worried. There's also a market he can sell the rear sump LS 370z pans too. Extra motivation? Maybe...

SHoot... I need to tell him to put a bung right on the oil reservoir so that I can add a check valve and attach the Accusump direct to that. Might as well fill the oil right where it's needed.

I also learned from when I put my Morosso pan on that the LS oil pickup tube has a weird design flaw. The engineers only have one bolt that bolts into the oil pump. Very odd. If the pickup tube is not fully seated into the oil pump then it could create an oil starvation issue. It's like drinking from a straw with a hole. ICT Billet has an LS oil pickup girdle for 25 bucks. Already threw the kitchen sink at the engine, so what's another part... right?

Last edited by gbrettin; 08-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote