View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #439 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Since the bar has been pushed out further I wanted additional surface area over the mounting point so I cut up some scrap metal, sanded a bit and drilled a whole. I cut the tabs using an angle grinder because the Harbor Freight bandsaw gave up on life. The shop has an industrial bandsaw waiting to be setup, which I need to continue the hotside.

It was a real b1tch one man wrestling bar stock around trying to tack some welds. It pretty much got to the point where the bar was in the right spot and I zapped at the seam getting it to stay. Then I put a thicker tack on. This is the downside of building something late at night. Overall, I'm Very happy with the new direction so far.

I'm going to add gussets in the corners for strength; although, After it's TIG welded (by my buddy) it should be REALLY strong.

If you are curious about the metal type, Rusty, it's mild steel. I'm not sure the exact wall thickness or alloy. It was "hey, this looks like it will work." *pulls from metal pile*. The price was right... Free.

I ended up pulling the trigger on CSF. It's already set up for AN fittings (money saver), the dimensions are right, it's meant to be v-mounted and it looks good. I came to the conclusion I will worry about AC down the road... probably when it's really hot out and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote