View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
stormcrow
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Nismo TT
stormcrow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDZRVIT View Post
Present your data to backup your claim. Your outdated chart proves nothing.
that is certainly not outdated. clearly you are misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDZRVIT View Post
A quick search for the test method to certify API SM (dino or synthetic) oil is as follows:

A key new test for GF-4, which is also required for API SM, is the Sequence IIIG, which involves running a 3.8 L (232 in³), GM 3.8 L V-6 at 125 hp (93 kW), 3,600 rpm, and 150 °C (300 °F) oil temperature for 100 hours. These are much more severe conditions than any API-specified oil was designed for: cars which typically push their oil temperature consistently above 100 °C (212 °F) are most turbocharged engines, along with most engines of European or Japanese origin, particularly small capacity, high power output.
The IIIG test is about 50% more difficult[10] than the previous IIIF test, used in GF-3 and API SL oils. Engine oils bearing the API starburst symbol since 2005 are ILSAC GF-4 compliant."

So, for all you guys who think oil temps are an issue you need not worry unless you run your engine all day long well above 260F. I submit that Nissan designed their engine to go into limp mode above 280F to prevent engine damage based on the newest oil standard quoted above. In another ten years it will probably even higher.
You obviously never track your vehicle. I am not saying that I do, but I am good friends with quite a few who do. Having just come from a GT-R, I can tell you that temps above 240-260 for a track day; the oil is changed. I even changed mine every 1500 miles as I would see temperatures of 240+ sustained on mountain runs. Keep in mind that the GT-R is designed for track usage...well, moreso than the 370.

If you want to drive 7500 miles at higher temps between oil changes, more power to you. Me, i will opt to protect my engine...especially since it will be twin turbo'ed soon. Massive AE Performance oil cooler will be first modification.
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote