View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnixalot View Post
I have tried everything I can think of which I will outline below. I'm about to start researching how to keep AC and do HR heads or something.

Background info
Built bottom end, refreshed heads, JWT exhaust cams and springs

Issue 1
I CANNOT for the life of me get the VVEL position sensor voltages to match. Bank 1 is constant and no issue, Bank 2 reads 0.1v less. If i sync the voltages as per FSM with the car off the "VVEL angle" on bank 2 is off a few degrees. Start the car up and it will match the angles but the position voltage will be 0.1v less on bank 2

Issue 2
Dependent on the gear, it appears to be a load related issue to me, the car will lose power and air flow will drop on Bank 2's MAF. This only happens during WOT and will not happen under part throttle. 2nd gear it happens at around 7000rpm, 3rd gear around 6500rpm and 4th gear at 5500rpm.

Also of note, Bank 2's MAF will read between 0.3 to 0.6 volts higher until it falls off drastically.

Thing's I have done so far.

Toned out the wiring between both position sensors and the VVEL ECU (all good 0 ohm readings)
Replaced both VVEL ladders
Replaced both VVEL motors
Replaced both VVEL position sensors
Replaced the VVEL ECU

When replacing the VVEL ladders, I left the valve covers off, manually adjusted the VVEL control shaft to minimum position and set the position sensors to read 0.5V. This still resulted in Bank 2's actual angle being lower than Bank 1.

I don't want to keep throwing parts/money at it. Maybe this motor is just cursed? Anyone been through this before?
I think there was a thread here with a similar issue. His problem turned out to be the sensor 'wheels' on the cams, the ones with teeth. One was slightly deformed. JCHammond will know what the correct term for those 'wheels' are, I'd call them 'pickup wheels', but that is probably not correct. IIRC, the camshaft sensors are on the intake cams, the sensor wheels are what trigger those sensors. Bank 2's sensor wheel might be damaged.