View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jmatchley86
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z 6MT
Jmatchley86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv129 View Post
I think it’s in the ease of calculating spring rate change and tuning the shocks. That’s beneficial to someone that’s really fine tuning those two things (run a few laps, come into pit and tell crew chief blah blah blah, study telemetry, switch springs and change shocks settings, then go out run more laps again, rinse & repeat).

A simplified example...a car with perfect 50/50 front to rear and side to side weight distribution, true type all 4 corners. Driver says “spring too stiff”. Mechanic swaps all springs for same -1k all corners.

Now, same car but true type in front, divorced in the rear, now mechanic needs to calculate for a -1k in front, the equivalent for the rear may be -0.8k. Mechanic needs to calculate the “wheel rate” by taking into account of the spring being further away/inward from the hub.

For us, there isn’t any benefit on true coilover vs divorced. One isn’t gonna make a faster or slower driver, all else being equal.
One day i'll have a mechanic and crew... and a fast car lol... but for now this is exactly the info i'm looking for. Thanks!
Jmatchley86 is offline   Reply With Quote