View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #2289 (permalink)
Leingod
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: In Circles
Leingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
IIRC, this system board is using PCI-E slots, so it's a matter of what card(s) to get. I had this one built for me, so I just picked stuff from a list and went with it. It was delivered assembled, so I just had to plug it in, turn it on and go. I've not paid attention to the advances in cards, so I'm a little stumped at the moment. Thanks Lein for the suggestions, I was looking at 1070 Ti, but the price was giving me pause....
Newest cards from Nvidia are the 2XXX numbers. They give you roughly the same FPS as the 1XXX cards, but also give you ray tracing which are fancy buzz words for fancier lighting.

2XXX and 1XXX cards are roughly the same price for whatever reason. Just get a 2XXX card if you can swing it. Another viable option would be a used 980 or 980ti. They're still very capable cards. Just don't get any 970's due to the VRAM being lower than actually supposedly built into the card.

Good choices pending on price range

Used 980 variant for cheap on FB or eBay
Used 1060 from somewhere
New 2060/70/80 if you wanna swing it.

980 is comparable to a 1060. 1070/80 and 2070/80 are overhauled beats comparable to the titan classes in todays age.