View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltullos View Post
The weakness that I have found with the OTG cables enabling simultaneous charging and data transfer on my Android tablet is finding quality cables to support charging, and especially when needing an left or right angled cable to fit the space constraints. I probably tried 6-8, most of which were trash.

So, my preference would be to pay for the bluetooth connection.

From what I understand though, Apple uses some proprietary stack which might make developing the firmware problematic for Apple devices, though I don't think it would for Android. This may be out-dated info; but something you would want to check if not already knowledgeable.
Yeah, I suspect that people going the Brainiac route would just rely on the product that they were purchasing being up to snuff. I have looked into the OTG/Charging solutions and was not very impressed. The problem is that OTG is a broken standard, so it doesn't all work the way you expect it to with all hardware that states it "supports" it.

So, I decided that I would leave everything in place except the Bluetooth module. It would make the boards up to $10 cheaper to leave off and can be added on as an extra for those that want to use it.

The last time I messed with Bluetooth modules was back when the SPP protocol was standard and you could communicate with other BT devices as if you were talking to a serial port. Now with the newer BLE devices, protocols like SPP are not longer standard and you have to make your own. Ugh...