View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #46 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP-Z View Post
I spent some time over at SZR Pro today here in Houston talking with Dane and Brad about build plans and some of the conversations here. The did acknowledge that some people have had some oil return issues on the AAM twin turbo kit and believe they have worked out the issues. Dane is building a fresh motor with the aam stage 2 kit on it and explained some of the known issues being the left side turbo oil line comes default with a straight an fitting and being so close to the fender well, it often gets pinched or kinked. Additionally have the return lines enter the oil pan (wide Greddy I think) vertically instead of from the side helps alleviate pooling in the lines and lateral flow issues. Sound like they may have that kit dialed in well and given the lower price tag (compared to FI) it might still be a good option.

On the build details, here is the road I will begin traveling down:

1700cc injectors $1500
Specialty Z Flex Fuel Kit
AAM Fuel Rail Kit 1329.99
FI Fuel Return System 1045.00
FI or AAM Twin Turbo Kit
Catch can kit
ATI Super Damper
Walbro Dual Pumps
Greddy Profec Boost Controller
Just a couple notes here. First, I'd highly recommend that when forum veterans slag the AAM kit, you listen. AAM has a very bad track record here as far as quality and customer support, for a reason. I realize they are marginally cheaper - How much pain is that worth to you, in the long run? I should add that their kits do make good power once everything is set up. Just figure out your pain threshold getting to that point.
Second, your build list here is definitely showing an improved thought process. You're listing the right kind of components and you're doing it before building anything.
Third, if you have questions about injector size, talking with a knowledgeable tuner with a lot of build experience, such as Sebastian at Specialty Z, would be a very good idea.
Lastly, try to figure out your power goals in advance. That'll make your build decisions a lot more obvious. 500 whp? You won't need E85; you don't need a built block; you can run smaller injectors; you can keep relatively small turbos. 750 whp? Whole 'nother game. Now you're talking built block for longevity, with only a handful of shops providing proven motors at that power level for any kind of duration, likely E85, upgraded turbos, etc.