View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
What would you do about a deep scratch that's through the clear and base coats? Is there any way to fill it in without using a filler and doing a re-paint?
Yes, and it will look like total crap. If you are through the clear and into the paint, you have 3 choices.

1. Live with it.

2. Fix it as I did in the above post, keeping in mind that the repair will NOT be perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it will be a little less noticeable. I would only do this if I was planning on fixing it later but I didn't have time to do it immediately. A scratch like that would irritate the hell out of me because every time I drive the car, I could hear it screaming at me over my music. Only a real car guy would understand that.

I am going to do a video on that exact repair in the near future.

3. Have it fixed CORRECTLY, which consist of a respray. That is the ONLY way to fix that kind of damage and not have it looking like your 5-year old child did it, as is show in the pictures above. I don't know what they were thinking at the rental car place when they picked up that touch-up paint.

Here's one I caught just before the owners almost made the same mistake at another car show. They had a beautiful Shelby Cobra that someone had leaned across and scratched with their belt buckle. They should have beat him with the car but I digress. They asked me if I had some touch-up paint and I was like, "HOLD UP! What's the issue?" They showed me the car and the scratch and I told them not to touch that car with any paint. I grabbed my stuff and headed to their booth.

That paint looked like it was dipped in GLASS. I was not about to allow some hack to screw it up and it wasn't even my car. I just love cars that much, no matter who it belongs to.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 06-22-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote