View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #401 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

IG@gbrettin
Installed @z1motorsports subframe collars and @royaltyperformancellc diff brace. Cleaned up the subframe enough until I send it off to powder coating some other year. One of the bolts broke off on my car, because why not... it was hot hot hot! Inside the shop today too. Also, I took a bunch of video of doing both installs just to try it out. I'll edit it and throw it on YouTube, maybe. It's mostly me swearing at the car and bad video angles. ��. #z1motorsports #royaltyperformance #370z #ls370z

-------------------------

I put in comments inn between the photos on this one.

Black Sheep Industries unboxing

New exhaust hanger

Z1 Subframe install and Royalty Performance diff brace Install
Removed Exhaust

Installed RP brace incorrect the first go. Use a 17mm spanner to hold the backside of the nut to the hole so the brace can be bolted it. I was a dummy and struggled for a long while, don't do that. It's a 5-10min job once the car is on the hoist. I have a lengthy video of what not to do.

The surface rust, which is minimal for MI cars, was sending me into a panic attack. I ended up wire brushing the frame connectors and painting. I'm going to have all the components powder coated. I have a question for you guys (and I will end up researching shortly). What options are there for replacements? I’m not worried about the subframe specifically. Does SPL have replacement parts for all the pieces shown on the ground? And if you are wondering if the car has ever seen salt, the answer is yes. I was forced to drive the car ONE winter season. I had to and it is what it is. The damage on this car was from ONE year and it pisses me off. I guess if you see people bucking up about driving their Z cars all year you can show them these pictures.

Nissan did not use grade 8 fasteners. Look at the crazy build up on the one bolt. One bolt sheerd right off due to loss of strength. I had to goto the hardware store to find replacements, which is always a PITA in the middle of a project. The replacement bolts are M10 1.25 thread pitch if anyone has the same issue. Get grade 8 bolts if possible. I ended up with grade 7. I sourced a lug nut from the bolt bin and sanded down the bolt that was sticking out. The lug was welded to the bolt, a lot of weld. Didn't want to take any chances of it breaking again. The heat from the weld also helped free up the bolt to get it out. All threads were chased and lubed up.

Painted items

I used a rubber mallet to bang in the collars on the bottom side, there's only two of them. The top collars drop in. It's an easy install when you’re not tweaking about other parts of your car.

Last edited by gbrettin; 06-21-2020 at 07:05 AM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote