View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
JNickson
Base Member

Drives: 18' 370z Sport PW M6
JNickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
Do the 370Z engines have a stamped serial number that would be easy to get to? If so, you should be able to look up the date of manufacture and tell if it matches the date of the car.
They do, but apparently it's on the very back of the block by the transmission bell housing and incredibly difficult to get to unless you take out a bunch of panelling, at least that's what I got from researching on here. Doubt he would be super stoked to me doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
check the tires

if there is significant wear on the rears, that may indicate abuse over a short amount of time
I checked the tires, they look pretty much brand new, I checked the dates and they haven't been replaced from factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson
One thing you can do to check is ask him to pop the hood, and check the heat shields on the headers (passengers side will be easier). If they are 4 bolt, it's a newer engine. If they have 3 bolts, it's an older engine. Header design was revised somewhere around the 2014 year model, and the heatshields changed with the headers. If I had concerns, that's where I'd look first.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try to get at it when I take it for the necessary jurisdiction inspection. I was also hoping to inspect the knuckles for impact driver marks and condition of the bolts in general.

Usually I tend to go with the gut check, but I'm just wondering if it's a little off given my previous experience, hence why I'm looking for quantifiable/observable data to help make my decision.

The reason I am so reluctant to walk away is because this one is so conviniently close to where I live, has the lowest miles, and is my favorite color combination. The next best option requires me to drive 8 hours one way and at that point if I don't commit to that one I'm out a couple days of work time. Not the worst, but still a massive inconvenience.
JNickson is offline   Reply With Quote