View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #367 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

This weekend was close enough to 3k miles on the kit since the install that I decided to tackle routine maintenance. Oil change, drop turbo, clean filter, reinstall filter, reinstall turbo. Additionally, the oil leak at my thermostatic plate has continued, albeit very slowly and I wanted to clean that up.

-The oil leak was occurring where the threaded ports extrude from the plate for the AN fittings. The gaskets used for those ports are such that as you tighten the ports, they tear the gaskets. I replaced the gaskets with a set from a Mocal plate - the gasket is inset in a metal ring, preventing clamping from tearing the gasket. Easy fix, cleaned up the issue. I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good.
-Dropping the turbo to clean the filter is time consuming. I knew that going in, but this was a good reminder. For those who have more money than time (and who are able to remove their engine mounts ) I'd recommend you get the BP filter relocation kit.
-The filter was pretty dirty. Considering it was only 3k miles I was a bit surprised at just how dirty. There was a little bit of heat damage on one end of the filter, just a small amount of bubbling, but this reinforces what others (Solidus) have stated. The location of the filter does mean it is subjected to radiant heating from the passengers side header.
-Greasing the turbo was pretty straightforward. Insert tube of grease into grease gun (included with kit). Remove cap. Pressurize grease gun. Trigger enough grease through the gun to ensure it's working. Fasten to zerk fitting (which hopefully you've left exposed). No mess, no cleanup.
-Replace turbo gasket with new, add filter to turbo, lift turbo back into place with minimal cursing, bolt in place.
-Spent way too much time trying to reconnect exhaust piping to turbo. This is a huge pain in the butt with the turbo blanket in the way. I said several adult words at that point. Another pair of hands would be a big help at this point, mostly with trying to balance the pipe, align it between turbo and the rest of the exhaust (lying on my back, grabbing the pipe with my knees) and clamp the v-band around the flanges with enough pressure that the threaded bolt extrudes (right hand) while trying to thread the nut on (right hand).

Reassemble and enjoy. Back to work today, ran like a top.