View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #346 (permalink)
redondoaveb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Nismo Gunmetal
redondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
It is absolutely the BOV being under the right conditions to allow it to fluctuate between open and closed. When that condition is just right it is not under enough vacuum to be pegged open and the air the SC is making (which it is always making) has to escape. The valve gets pushed up by the air, the spring pushes it back down, due to not enough vacuum. This happens repeatedly and quickly giving that chopping/fluttering sound. I experimented forever with this on my initial kit back in 2014. Vacuum changes from car to car and from environments, namely altitude.

If you get flutter then try a slighlty stronger spring, or you can throw in a shim, like a really thick washer. This makes the spring stronger. Also, adding resistance to the output will help. Place a filter on it (Return style only). I bet if you bought the cover that makes the Q50 return style, it would be gone.

As long as the BOV is staying open in idle and decell, and shut during boost anything goes. Maybe the 3psi spring would work better.
The Q50 comes with a 2 psi spring and unfortunately, it appears the next stronger spring is a 6 psi. The QR and QRJ don'r share the same spring. The bottom QR section can be bought for $60.00. I ran a Q50 and now a QR50 (the QR because I'm running a silencer) in the location as the V1 series kit and have/had no issues with flutter.

What is strange is the Q50/QR50 has a 50mm valve and the QRJ has a 38.5 valve yet the QR50 has a smaller outlet port (22mm) compared to the QRJ (35mm).
Fast Intentions "Stage Seb" twin turbo #098- Specialty Z/Tial-Xonarotor/CJM/Ecutek/HKS/KW/SPL/Hotchkis/Rohana/Toyo
700+whp

Last edited by redondoaveb; 06-08-2020 at 09:26 AM.
redondoaveb is offline   Reply With Quote