Thread: Post your pets!
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #827 (permalink)
FL 4Motion
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Baby Shark
FL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodz View Post
The list is long and I just provide the obvious for sake of discussion. A dog that is not trained to provide a service and is not certified no matter what it is is not a service animal by definition!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I agree, but not everyone that could use a service dog can get one, there are shortages of trained dogs a lot of times, but they can get and train an emotional support dog which can can provide a lot of the same support/service. Heck, a lot of times, the calming, steady emotional support IS the service.

With physical issues like stroke, paralysis etc, the service dog is opening doors, turning on lights etc, with psychiatric issues, it really is emotional support, as well as alerting on the stress etc. the training requirements or certification isn’t going to be at the same level, most household dogs with good obedience and socializing training could probably to it.

The VA treats ptsd service dogs as second class service dogs and does not provide the same level of support to them (Ex. vet coverage) compared to physical service dogs. I suppose this issue triggers me bc when I hear “all dogs provide emotional support” or something to that effect, it goes in the same line as when someone treats combat related brain damage and psychiatric injuries as somehow not the same as physical wounds.
FL 4Motion is offline   Reply With Quote