View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #4818 (permalink)
BettyZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: A Garage Queen
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFLiP View Post
So, what did I do? It's definitely a saga that took the span of two months. Here's the Cliffs notes version.

Took it to the shop to get the following installed:
Z1 anti fuel starvation kit, KW V3 plus supporting SPL links, SOHO Motorsports A2A with the Stillen Supercharger kit with crash bar, Z1 34 row oil cooler. ~460 whp on the Dyno.

Edit: I forget the ZSpeed clutch upgrade and CMAK CSC delete to the list.

Car lasted about 500 miles before the engine blew. Later learned catastrophic failure of the high flow cats.

Towed back to the shop ~250 miles away. Ordered new engine from a '17 Nismo with 17.5k miles. Added Motordyne headers and test pipes. Dyno showed 499 rwhp in Albuquerque's 5,300 ft elevation. Car's running way better. Added a crackle and pop tune to one (out of 5) of the maps. Car runs strong. Runs hot at 220°F and climbs quickly during spirited driving.

Added Z1 2-piece rotors, steel braided brake lines, and new yellow stuff EBC pads, front and rear Hotchkis sway bars, and the 15+ Nismo front and rear bumper.

Took her to the track. 89°F max temp for the day. Found out that I can't do more than three laps without the car dangerously overheating. Thought I had coolant leak. Nope. Cooling just can't keep up and fluids boiled over. Almost burnt my hand when I checked the coolant level when I thought it had cooled enough. I was wrong but thankfully it had cooled down but just not enough. Max oil temp I saw was 290°F. Max coolant temp was one dot from max. This was when I didn't check temps and was chasing a lap time. This was after two laps from ~200°F oil temp on the gauge. Oops. Engine life has definitely gone down quite a bit. I'm surprised the engine didn't blow.

Topped off on coolant and drove home. Had a friend follow me just in case. Car worked fine on highway speeds. Just can't handle the track.

Today, I took apart the car's front end and bottom undershroud to clean all the coolant that went everywhere. Drained the oil from the engine, lines, and oil cooler. I also installed the front wheel well liners today. Went to the track without it.

Tomorrow, I put her back together, and try a test drive. We'll see what we get. The next project is to address the cooling issue with a new radiator, additional side mounted oil coolers, different fan blades and hood vents. Someday. I have to lick my financial wounds from the unexpected engine swap.

Any tips would be appreciated.Attachment 142688

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
May want to consider an oil pan spacer, increase your capacity.