View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #367 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the CF mould full on sh1t the bed. The pin on hood has been dashed for now. You guys have seen the whole process, cradle to grave. The corners of the hood require too much work to bring back up correctly. The issue is not with the low spots on the side of the hood, but rather how the mould is down away on the corner. The mould needs to be stiffer which would require additional layers of fiber glass OR a carbon fiber shell. I would have done a CF shell if the mould met up properly in the corners. The mould was really starting to work out in a lot of areas. A line must be be drawn the line in the sand somewhere.

I'm going to make a one-off pin on hood for my car and apply all lessons learned; however, I will resume that early fall when temperatures are perfect. I'm also shelving the cowl for now too. Next hood will be perfect on the tooling gel and a shell of carbon fiber. The price difference is not that big and will be WAY easier to move around. I am slightly disappointed but not at all shocked by a setback. I learned SO MUCH from the experience. Well worth the material waste IMO.

Moving on, I started in on doing the hot side. I used lots of tape and time to get the adjustments right. Working with pies allowed for really trick piping configuration. I'm 100% going to have a pro TIG the pipes due to visibility and leaks. The pictures pretty much do all the talking on the pie cuts. It's tedious but give great results.

Final pictures before mould hit the trashcan...

Take note at how the front of the mould was rebuilt, it was completely garbage previously

These sides of the mould really started to come out well. The front right corner would need to be built up and there is extra work needed to crisp up the corner.

Back side of the hood looked great

Left and right sides look great after being rebuilt

Left side could potentially be built up

Right back corner ended up being the deal breaker. It was close but I feel I’d spend 100+hours trying to get it perfect.

Last edited by gbrettin; 05-26-2020 at 12:38 PM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote