View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
NorthStyle
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370Z Nismo
NorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond reputeNorthStyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girald View Post
Im referring to this, for the ones who dont know... The best looking infotainment upgrade that ive seen
https://workshoptwelve.com/nissan-370z/

Ok, so who out there has it installed?? Problems, no problems?
What paint did you use, and did it match the dash, etc [ yes there is a youtube on painting but they dont specify the product number ( paint can ) that works perfect...] What was the order to delivery lag time and did you come up with great fixes for some of the lost functionality from OEM?

Car: 370z sport tech
Goal: OEM nav gone and sexy dash in

So, I went ahead and ordered this kit with the 1.5 option .. path of least resistance. The idea is to get the ecutek dashboard setup ( completly craps all over the mini gauge dash screen for the R35) and of course have google maps among other things.

So, right off the bat, im accepting that I wont have steering wheel infotainment controls, back up camera or or hands free ( FOR NOW) There are solutions for all of that, but If i can take it in stages then im happy.

Aside from trying to figure out an Arduino approach to making some night hud displays, this looks liek a bad *** project...

Thoughts?
I have the V1 version in my car as well, and as husam2012 said: it's a bit involved, especially if you want it to sound good.

The paint I used was Duplicolor RBA100 flat black, but the Duplicolor PAE101 semi-gloss black is a close match as well.

You can order a JoyCon to have steering wheel controls work, there's a brief write-up somewhere on the forum that explains how to wire it up. I haven't cared enough to figure it out just yet but I did go ahead an order the parts. Heads up: they've been difficult to order in the States lately and had to have a friend in Germany order one directly from the company, then send it to me from there.

Back up camera/hands free... they're working on that but I just added the OEM reverse camera mirror to my Nismo; cost around $250-300 off of ebay but not a route everyone may want to take.

Problems.... not a lot, but enough to be frustrating.
1. With the V1 kits, if your tablet dies you have to take the entire center apart to pull the tablet for charging. There is a workaround where you can configure the tablet to power up once it sees power, but I ran into an issue where either a) it would take 5-10 minutes to do so then b) eventually, it wasn't pulling enough power to run the startup while powering the tablet so it would get halfway through powerup then shutdown and enter a reboot cycle indefinitely...

Solution: I added a USB "Y" so that I now have the option to plug my tablet in through the wall outlet in my garage so that if I'm not driving it often (which I don't), I just plug it in and it can sit.

2. Sound from the tablet's 3.5mm is garbage, plain and simple. I already had an aftermarket 4ch amp, however even when using the amp's built-in crossover, it wasn't enough to separate the frequencies so the sound was muddied.

Solution: I added a Clarion electronic crossover and used that for complete frequency separation before going into the amplifier.

2a. With that, the crossover was picking up interference from the 3.5 once the engine was started, but only when the car was running. If left in the ACC/On position, no interference whatsoever. I rerouted all the cables, checked all my grounds, etc. but couldn't get the sound to go away. I hypothesized that the sound was a product of pulling from the 3.5 or something to do with the crossover. I bypassed the crossover, and it went down, however it was still there (the crossover amplified the noise). So , I determined it had to do with the 3.5 outlet.

Solution: I added a DAC (NextDrive SpectraX) to pull sound from the USB of the tablet, and eliminated the 3.5 entirely. This helped out two-fold. First, the interference was completely gone. Second, the digital sound is on a whole other level above the analog provided by the 3.5.

2b. Another problem surfaced when using the DAC: the DAC was pulling power from the tablet (this was before I had a solution for Problem #1). So, due to the natural power drain combined with the power pulled by the DAC, the tablet would die overnight. Low and behold, the DAC was always pulling power, regardless if the tablet was charging or not (I had figured it would cease pulling power once the tablet went into standby but nope).

Solution A: I tried adding a USB On/Off switch inline between the tablet and DAC so that I could manually kill the connection, thus turning the DAC off. While this did help battery life, there was still some parasitic drain and the tablet would die after 2-3 days vs overnight. So this solution was a failure.

Solution B: I spoke with Workshop 12 and they recommended adding a Lava USB hub, with a caveat: the hub would need to be modified. This would add additional USB ports and the modification would ensure the power was killed once the tablet went into standby (the mod was just clipping a connector within the hub itself which took all of maybe 5 min start to finish).

With that, I had better sound, better battery life, and could keep the tablet charged when I didn't drive the car. However, shortly after Workshop 12 came out with their electronics box that solves most of the issues I encountered minus still pulling sound from the 3.5 would I'd still recommend going with a DAC.

Hope this helps
NorthStyle is offline   Reply With Quote