View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #128 (permalink)
alcheng
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 ZR PW w/Clutch
alcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond repute

I wish the top on our 370z is a simple one like the Boxter, just fold into the compartment, no lid no complicate hinges and actions..

I saw the post from mikeshay, and I have the exact same issue with mine, both sides

I did a search for couple months and found some other roadster owners have the same issue.

The problem is, Nissan doesn't make or sell those parts, (I'll tell you why later in this post)

So I am stuck, too.

Went to a shop and originally I was thinking have them remove the top and remove the part, then bring the part to a machine shop to see if they can machine a replacement.

However, thinking the cost and possibility, remove the top, take it apart, and if someone can machine the part, without knowing too much details about the size/shape/ material of the part, is pretty risky, since it might end up someone unable to machine the part.

On the other hand, even if someone can machine the part, there's no guarantee how good the top will perform or last after taking it apart and put it back together and you know, the Z top is an "unique" piece.

Eventually, not wanting to pay CAD$20k+, so...

Look up eBBay or whatever places/website they have a salvaged 370z roadster, just buy the whole top from them, cost is anywhere $3k - $5k.

Have a shop to swap the top, done!

That's what I did to mine, and it works perfectly now, plus, I have an extra set of pump, ECU and 20 hydraulics sitting in my basement just in case.

Just a note for those who run into the same problem in the future, don't pay $20k to Nissan.

My shop lube all the hinges on the replacement top, thus it works quiet and smooth now.
alcheng is offline   Reply With Quote