View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 04:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rodd
Base Member

Drives: 12 370Z R’ster Red M
Rodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clear wear strip on deck lid problem

Just thought I share my experience with the clear wear strip on our deck lids/ tonneau cover. My trip was pretty looking fairly average we I bought the car 18 months ago but really deteriorated just lately. I went to a place that does clear protectant/wraps etc on vehicles, called Altapac here in Oz to get a new one piece film fitted. The company is well known here and have a quite a good reputation. They wrapped my mates entire Z roadster in clear. Perhaps bit of an overkill but looks great.

The place rang me a back and said we have a problem, removing the existing Nissan film is damaging the paint, ie paint being removed with the film. I went back to the car and sure enough could see the very small section where they started the removal process with the heat gun.
Therefore, I need to get the entire deck lid panel repainted which I have now just done. Now I need to wait between 4-6 weeks for full paint cure as they will not offer warranty if done before then. Apparently chemicals in the new paint take some time to release out and so if covered up by a film layer could issues could result down the track.
So effectively I can’t use car during this time, or at least not with roof closed as that would damage the new paint.

Anyway, moral to the story-DO NOT WAIT until your clear wear strip is as bad as mine before getting it replaced.
First two pictures show what mine looked like.
I will post picture when new film is on. Still not sure if I will have entire lid done or just the standard area but most likely extend it a small to line up with the natural lines of the lid as they suggested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lid 1.jpg (460.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg lid 2.jpg (330.5 KB, 32 views)
Rodd is offline   Reply With Quote