View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
chubbs
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2016 370z Auto-Grey
chubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting those pics for us, Chubbs. Yeah, I think we're better off without this 'feature'. The only circumstance I can imagine those actually being useful is if you have mud on your car or something like that, in which case the overspray really isn't going to be that much of an issue because the rest of your car is filthy and in need of a proper wash anyway.
Exactly - perfectly analysed!

...and if your lights need a wipe, how long does it take ffs!

Edit - The theory behind our legislation is that the efficiency of xenon or bi-xenon headlamps is severely impaired if the lamp glass is dirty - and this is probably true, so keep your glasses clean and you'll be able to see!

Our cars have 2 linked screenwash bottles, on each side of the car, below each of the headlamp washers. When you fill the reservoirs through the single filler they take at least 5 litres of liquid - adding plenty of weight to the car (15lbs?).

They operate automatically when the headlamps are on dipped or full beam and they cannot be switched off, although I know some people who have disconnected them (illegal in the UK, I think). They operate the first time you squirt the screenwash, then every 10th time you squirt - unless you switch the engine off, and then, infuriatingly, the sequence starts from the first squirt again!

If ever I need to clean my windscreen in the dark (and it happens regularly in damp old England), I wait until I'm stopped at traffic lights or at a junction, I turn my main beam off, I operate the screenwash and then I turn my headlights back on again. That way the stupid headlamp washer doesn't spray unnecessary mess everywhere. What a faff! ...and I imagine that the driver in front wonders why I'm turning my lights on & off at him!!!

ps - You can make them squirt at other times too, if you want to!!!!!!

'03 Grey >>> '06 Black >>>'10 Silver >>> '16 Grey ^

Last edited by chubbs; 03-05-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: to do an edit.
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote