Thread: Can bus Hacking
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicVQ View Post
Well... This is VERY interesting. For those interested in making a copy of their ECU ROM, "VQ_Crazy!" on romraider has designed/built/programmed a cheap ($15+) Arduino based, CAN bus hardware solution using the OBD port to copy the ECU ROM to an SD card in 3-4 minutes!

Details are here: https://www.romraider.com/forum/view...p?f=65&t=17089

Just to put this in perspective, this is the first step to being able to tune and update our own ECU ROMs for VERY little money.

I think this will be a good first step to "open source tuning" for the 2008+ (CAN Bus) ECUs.
What do you think?
I did see that post before and its interesting for sure. I was thinking about making an add-on board to a RaspberryPI for this, which would be a cool project (I've mad a few add-on "hats" as they call it, it's not too hard). What has kept me from doing that is because I have access to some of the best CAN tools in the industry through my job, so that keeps my motivation for this low.

I post on ROMraider under the name LeftoverPi