View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
alcheng
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 ZR PW w/Clutch
alcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond reputealcheng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilardZ View Post
Like many roadster owners, my car's been bedeviled with the top-hitting-tonneau issue. I've been experiencing it almost since I first got the car in 2017. I took it to the dealer almost immediately, and they replaced the bungees. But it didn't really do anything.
So, I was excited to read last year on this forum that Nissan engineers had come up with a new fix. I waited until my warranty was about the run out (because I figured that there'd be some "lessons learned" and experienced gained as the new TSB was implemented a few times.) Finally, last month, I brought my car in for the new bungees.
However, after an inspection, the service guys told me that the top's hinge had sheared. (See attached photo; it's on the passenger's side.) I have my suspicions that it was they who broke it, while they were carrying out the TSB. I mean, I'd never noticed a problem with the hinge. But I suppose I hadn't looked at it closely.
Anyway, the dealership decided that they'd replace the whole top. The retail cost of this was something like $19,000, but as it was under warranty, it cost me nothing. The top was replaced, and the problem is fixed. Of course, I do wonder if the new top has the old bungee technology, which is prone to eventual weakening and failure.
Bottom line is: Check your hinges! I assume a broken hinge could be welded for a lot less than $19K, if your car is out of warranty.
Cheers,
Steve

Lucky you the hinge broke under warranty.

In fact it is quite common in Z, and to make it worst Nissan doesn't offer replacement just for that part!

Last edited by alcheng; 04-27-2020 at 04:15 PM.
alcheng is offline   Reply With Quote