View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
BoilardZ
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z
BoilardZ is on a distinguished road
Default New top!

Like many roadster owners, my car's been bedeviled with the top-hitting-tonneau issue. I've been experiencing it almost since I first got the car in 2017. I took it to the dealer almost immediately, and they replaced the bungees. But it didn't really do anything.
So, I was excited to read last year on this forum that Nissan engineers had come up with a new fix. I waited until my warranty was about the run out (because I figured that there'd be some "lessons learned" and experienced gained as the new TSB was implemented a few times.) Finally, last month, I brought my car in for the new bungees.
However, after an inspection, the service guys told me that the top's hinge had sheared. (See attached photo; it's on the passenger's side.) I have my suspicions that it was they who broke it, while they were carrying out the TSB. I mean, I'd never noticed a problem with the hinge. But I suppose I hadn't looked at it closely.
Anyway, the dealership decided that they'd replace the whole top. The retail cost of this was something like $19,000, but as it was under warranty, it cost me nothing. The top was replaced, and the problem is fixed. Of course, I do wonder if the new top has the old bungee technology, which is prone to eventual weakening and failure.
Bottom line is: Check your hinges! I assume a broken hinge could be welded for a lot less than $19K, if your car is out of warranty.
Cheers,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge 2.jpg (73.6 KB, 56 views)
BoilardZ is offline   Reply With Quote