Thread: CoronaVirus
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #1532 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Keep in mind that US numbers have been questioned as well. And with only a little over 1% of the population having been tested, the true picture is not yet known.

Our numbers are not any clearer here. Many locations including Canada are testing largely on suspicion (for diagnosis), not the general population. Only small countries and the very rich (Gulf States) have tested better than 10% of their people.

In Italy, between the chaos and the fact that anyone not confirmed as Coronavirus positive before death did not make the count, has lead some health officials to suggest that the final death toll could be 4x the current count. Let me just repeat that - there might have been upwards of 4,000 people a day dying of this in Italy at the peak.

The biggest takeaway from up here is to protect your most vulnerable. Race is likely not (directly) a factor, but age and prior health appear to be. Lock down your nursing homes, lobby that their staff do not also work at multiple homes or hospitals, and isolate your vulnerable loved ones. These are the dry tinder stoking this fire, that even social distancing cannot help.
Oh yeah, I am not saying the general rate. I am simply saying the virus is not racist, it will hit every human. The older male demo do seem to be hit the hardest, so boomers, watch out.

The nursing part is sad. My boss' mom is in assisted living, which is close to a nursing home. I asked if they were put in a lockdown, she said you just have to sign a waiver to check her in and out. I am like what if my boss was a carrier and she gave it to her mom. Her mom can wipe the entire population out! Do they not know you can be a carrier without symptoms.
It's bizarre.
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote