View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #331 (permalink)
madwi
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Granma red Z
madwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrettin View Post
I have a buddy that polished metal die sets for injection moulding. He said that the metal had to be absolutely mirror finish perfect and would spend weeks sanding to absurd high number using diamond paper. THAT would be terrible. He said that he would find flaws for some reason or another late in the process and need to kick the part back to milling. That meant starting over.
Thats exactly it what im talking about, final polish was the tp. I could never do it, about an hour in and I said f this and went back to my machine. Made me appreciate them that much more and always tried to get the best machined finish to start with to save time. Ran a few extra cycles in the EDM machines crisping up the sharp corners and blending in transitions.
We made the molds for inifinty, honda and others. If you ever notice the seatbelt latch covers in a viper; I made the electrodes and burned the snake's face into the mold.

Your mold looks awesome and that cowl doesnt seem like its gonna be fun to mess with.

Last edited by madwi; 04-16-2020 at 01:04 PM.
madwi is offline   Reply With Quote