View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #328 (permalink)
madwi
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Granma red Z
madwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrettin View Post
Started in on sanding the hood and let me tell you this, tooling gel gets hard AF! I started off with my 400grit sanding block and quickly went down to 60. You are looking at 3.5hrs of sanding. There's a LOT more sanding to go as well. I'm going to try doing some surgical hits with the death wheel tonight to reduce arm fatigue. I will also need to do a skim coat in almost all the areas and do another knockdown with fine grit. Eventually I will make it up to 1500 wet sanding. Last step is polishing, distant horizon at this rate. Like I said, this mould is workable and will take a lot of work.

( Click to show/hide )

When you get good at sanding try your hand at finishing a plastic injection mold for clear plastic part like a headlight. I never had the patience to sit there but the guys would sand with 220 and work up to a finish with Charmin toilet paper, and it had to be charmin.
madwi is offline   Reply With Quote