View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #325 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

IG @gbrettin:
The GOAT, @cjmotorsportsinc ,of fuel systems anodized my FPR. It looks awesome and I like how the Aeromotive is shadowed. ��

Man, this is going to be a lot of sanding.

-------------------------

MAN, you have no idea how much that means to me that a few of you guys enjoy going through some of these pictures. They really are a PITA sometimes to get. Also, it’s a real kick in the nuts posting some of the fails that go hand and hand with being new at doing this. If seeing these pictures helps someone somehow then it's worth it. Having a cataloged path of completion is pretty cool to have on a build is pretty rad in the long run.

IG comments summed it up what is happening well. I see lots of sanding in my future. The good news is that I have some nice sanding blocks and can chew through the high spots easy. Worst case scenario for this mold is this: I don't do a beauty layer of carbon fiber later. I can do two layers of CF with the mould and then do a wet lay up over the vacuum infused part. I don't anticipate going that route but it's nice to have a plan B.

Maybe I should do a better job explaining what is happening in pictures... The perimeter of the mould had some dry fiberglass issues. I cut all that out previously with trusty death wheel. I filled in the pockets with fiberglass. The high up perimeter isn't terrible important because I can sand that back to the flange no issue. I just needed something to sand back for a transition from the mould.

The inner part of the mould was filled with tooling gel with a mixture of wax. The wax is needed so that the tooling gel can cure properly. Tooling gel is typically sealed off by the fiber glassing process and cures that way. Normally, people make a mould that doesn't suck so bad and can pop off a perfect mould. My inexperience shows you the long road.... yay...

Also, Charles/Phunk anodized my FPR. Me being me, I marred it up within a few minutes putting it on with a big *** crescent wrench.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote