View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
alanyluan
Base Member

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z
alanyluan is on a distinguished road

More pics in my album if anyone is interested.

Overall, pretty hyped on everything so far. I'm glad I was able to drive/track the car in essentially stock form. Driving it now, it feels like a completely different animal.

The one gripe I have would definitely be the Z1 oil cooler. Not sure if anyone else ran into this issue but the sandwich plate adapter wasn't very intuitive. The surface area geometry seemed too tight to securely fit a 1 inch socket and given the poor contact, I was getting a little too close to rounding the securing bolt. Seemed kinda sketch given this is definitely something you want to make sure is torqued appropriately. Also, the sandwich plate securing bolt isn't threaded deep enough to account for the length of the OEM oil filter connecting bolt and consequently results in a loose fitting sandwich plate. I was able to torque the bolt down to the 25 ft-lbs but I'm pretty sure that's occuring because I'm running out of threads... not because the sandwich plate is contacting the engine. I contacted Z1 to see if I was going crazy but they responded that this was a known (and supposedly rare) issue with the 2014 models. They suggested I take a grinder to the OEM oil filter connecting bolt and remove enough material to get good contact... A little hesitant to do that after paying $600+ on the kit. Anyways, the sandwich plate is secure but slightly rotates with some force applied. I've test driven it and checked for leaks and so far no visible leaks. Perhaps some "sweat" but not sure if just residue from the oil change. Not feeling entirely confident...

Last edited by alanyluan; 04-15-2020 at 12:17 AM.
alanyluan is offline   Reply With Quote