View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Ishtim
Base Member

Drives: 10-370zBlkChry-7spd
Ishtim is on a distinguished road

As soon as I get time I'll post the history of issues we've had with the top.

@bunk asked if the top opened and closed properly. It did new, then started to stop halfway. We brought it in to the dealer (while under warranty) and got the "Yeah, we fixed it... but then it wouldn't open again weeks later, I (and Nissan) have a record of everything done with the top.

Latest response from local dealer (after three emails and three weeks) to get a "hint" on the diagnosis.

Quote:
The concern on your 370Z seems to be related to the convertible top. While we no longer have anyone trained on convertible tops, we did have a factory trained technician look at your vehicle. He found the top binding at points along it’s path. In our opinion some of the linkages that compose the framework of the top are deformed from the binding. From what I gather; this usually begins with wear in the joints between those linkages. Since the framework of the top is a precise movement and timed mechanism (much like the inner workings of an old clock) everything has to be near perfect for it to work as designed. Our recommendation is to replace the Folding Top Assembly. This item is no longer available for us to order through our supply system. I have asked my Parts Manager to search for one on Monday and I will let you know if we get lucky.
In all honesty the top has been lowered/raised MAYBE 50 times and the car is garage kept w/ 100K miles.

Last edited by Ishtim; 03-28-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Ishtim is offline   Reply With Quote