View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #5617 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to be much of a prepper to get through a few weeks or months. You just have to prepare in advance.

Keep some rice, beans, and other dry food on hand. That will keep your stomach happy; add some spices to your stash to keep your mouth happy. Put in freezer for a few days to kill any insects that may be present (there are more than you may want to think about) that could eat your food, then store in airtight containers. I put mine in Mason jars.
Keep some extra water on hand for cooking. Plus pots and a camping stove with fuel. I have a Coleman stove that runs on white gas and another that runs on propane.

Have a means of providing heat that won't kill you. Propane heaters work well for this. A properly maintained one will emit very little CO (you still need to ventilate the room) and can keep a room warm all night on a small bottle of propane. I keep a Little Buddy heater and propane bottles in the closet for power outages during the Winter.

If you take medications, you'll need enough to get you through the emergency.

Yes, keep a good supply of TP. It's not really a Life Or Death necessity but it's nice to have. The stuff has an almost infinite shelf life and is cheap - stock up during the "good" times.