Thread: Gas, which one?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

murfulk,

My past Z experience is what I'm referring to here, particularly my last Z, a 1990 300ZX NA that I owned for 27 years until I purchased my 2016 Roadster.

That 300ZX was designed to run on premium fuel, and up until 2 weeks before I sold it at 81 000 km (50 000 mi) I always used regular unleaded fuel to fuel it up. Understand that the car was just a toy and was never hotdogged. No ... I never spun the tires once during my ownership, or ever tried to find out how fast it would go.

During those years I never once had an engine issue, never heard a hint of preignition/engine knock, and never abused the car. A month before I sold the car I switched to premium fuel (for the benefit of the new buyer) and I couldn't believe the change in the power that the car was then able to generate. What a transformation!

Understand that I'm 70 years young now and always treated the car with respect, and I didn't require the car to suck the doorknobs off every other car on the road. It was a sunny day top off cruiser for my Bride and me.

What I'm trying to get across is, if you are not an aggressive driver, aren't street racing, and basically drive intelligently (not like some of these clowns in the 370z YouTube videos), you may well be able to use regular unleaded fuel and not hurt the car. BUT if after a couple of tankfuls of regular you hear even the slightest preignition/engine knock on acceleration .... switch to a higher fuel grade until you find one where the engine is happy again.

As for my present 370z Ro0adster ... I run premium fuel in it because I just don't have to worry about money, even though I still drive it the same way as my old 300zx. And I'm willing to bet that I'll never have to worry about having a CSC failure either.

Just my 2 cents worth, even though we don't have pennies any more in Canada.
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote