View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Alienpoker
Base Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Alienpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgolfer7 View Post
I will work on making a comprehensive tutorial this weekend that sums up all of those posts, it can be a tad bit overwhelming to wade through all those when you have a potential $500 part looming in your future.
I just experienced the ESCL problem in Feb 2020 after 55,000 trouble free miles in my 370Z

I found a $70 part to fix the problem yourself. It’s Nissan OEM part that fits in the same place, but no longer locks the steering column. Part number is:
48708-9N00A check your favorite discount Nissan parts supplier (I found it on eBay for around $63 shipped. I was quoted a ‘discounted’ price of $743 to replace my steering lock at the Nissan dealer where I bought and had always serviced my Z.

Differences are - it has a plastic top and metal bottom, it has no ‘deadbolt’ that moves up & down. Although it came with them, I see no need to use security bolts as it doesn’t lock the wheel.

I prefer not to hack my wiring harness or have a steering wheel lock (ESCL) box I have to beat on. If the switches go open again.

The new part closes the internal switches, provides all the correct signals to BCM / ECU, so you get no starting delay. I DID experience starting delays after ‘banging’ on the old ESCL unit and ‘pulling the fuse’.

There’s a write up on page 39 near the end of this post: DIY: Replace dreaded steering-lock on 2009s and early 2010s.
Alienpoker is offline   Reply With Quote