View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #288 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
Got it figured out yet?
No. I actually didn't touch the project at all until Saturday, needing time away from it.

Saturday I went back through, examining all connections. I moved and adjusted all clamps, adjusted piping near the CMAK for slightly better clearance, took my time with it. The goal was to get set for the boost pressure tester; also one of my buddies has access to a smoke machine from his shop, and his plan was to bring that by Sunday. I found nothing obvious Saturday, except that the orientation of the turbo (inlet side) could be improved. Everything appears to have been well seated.

Sunday I went a bit further including adjusting the turbo inlet side and discovered one unusual item. COMP has apparently stopped plugging one port on the side of the turbo. It requires a 1/8 NPT plug, available for about $3 from Lowes, pic attached.

Kauffman (mechanic buddy) unfortunately forgot the smoke machine (the perils of having wife and children) but did stop by. Attempted to start the car. Same basic issue.

Troubleshooting we performed:
-Fuel rail is absolutely pressurized. Madwi and I had previously checked this, but last night we did retest, twice. It gets enough fuel to spray when disconnected.
-To that point, you can clearly hear the fuel pump turn on and run.
-During the brief moments it runs, car is running pig rich. You can smell it, and we pulled a spark plug to confirm. Definitely being fouled with fuel.
-It's not misfiring.
-All cylinders are firing.
-It's not an obvious vacuum leak - car does not rev really high and then die as it would if I were missing a gasket. That being said, I'd previously verified all gaskets were present by the Throttle Bodies and under the plenum, and in good condition. If it was a vacuum leak and it were causing the issue, it should be post MAF.

My wife has a 2013 G37x and is currently away on business, so just to rule them out, I'm going to swap in her MAF sensors, throttle bodies, and fuel rail, in that order, testing each component one at a time to rule it out as a possible cause.

A part of me is wondering if my oversized throttle bodies are a component of this, since the last time I installed them (2018 or so) I had to run through the idle relearn just to get the car to stabilize. I'm wondering if they aren't opening correctly and the car is shutting off before I can do anything about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unplugged Turbo Port.jpg (196.9 KB, 16 views)