View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Island_370
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z SR M6
Island_370 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icib View Post
However I notice some play on my steering wheel, I am not sure if this is normal or not. When I drive in a straight line I can shake my steering wheel quite a bit to left and right without anything happening.
A couple things.....
If you are on winter tires on dry roads, the treads are much deeper and the tread blocks are much more flexible than the summer tires. The sidewalls are also a bit softer. So you might be experiencing this slop.

Or....you have not yet upgraded all your steeering/suspension parts with Unobtainium--the material of choice for racers---racers that can afford it. Rubber bushings, multiple linkages, etc all lead to slight delays in the response of your steering wheel. As the car ages, the links loosen up and the delays will increase slightly. Couple that with the winter tire issue above and you will notice "slop" in the steering response.

And of course our cars have speed sensitive steering. So steering inputs at higher speeds have less impact than those at lower speeds.

I doubt Nissan will tell you anything is wrong....Unless you are talking 1/4 turn with no response....then you have an issue.