View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #211 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to playing guitar for a heavy metal band, I also lead worship at Church, so I got a late start on Sunday. Stopped at an Autozone on my way home from services, got a few adapters for my 1/4" drive sockets.

1) Went back after passenger side header with proper angle. With a brief prayer (OH LORD - LET NOT THY SERVANT STRIP THIS NUT) I broke it loose, and passenger's side came free. Nice.
2) Removed O2 sensors from LTH.
3) Cleaned up studs and nuts from driver's and passengers side. These are considered a re-order wear item by Nissan, and I've got replacements on the way, but most were still in good shape with intact threads.
4) There is better access to the passenger side motor mount than drivers side. After sizing it up, I set an impact socket on the top nut of the motor mount, held it in place manually, and with a flex joint + extension, tried breaking it loose. No good. It vibrated for a bit, and then rounded off the corners of the nut. Bollocks. Considered this for a little while and shot a text to Joby, who has been a solid resource throughout this process. He pointed out that many sockets have a beveled edge, and the upper portion of the nut ALSO has a beveled edge, so the area where the socket was applying grip was exceedingly limited. My next option would be to either find a socket where it's flush and a bit undersized and hammer it onto the nut, or I've got some extractors which I could try. If I'm sold on removing that nut, I'm sure it can be done.
5) Re-ordered the passenger side studs per the FSM for OEM headers (note for those with Fast Intentions Headers, the FI uses a different stud pattern than factory) and installed the passenger side header and heat shield.

That was enough for Sunday.