View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocSoldier View Post
I just do whatever is convenient. Some cameras carry power and video through the one wire, and it's easier to wire those via the headunit to be always on (but still have the reverse light auto-trigger).
Otherwise, through the light.
The Z with Navi has a reverse signal on the connector that goes to the factory head unit. According to the wiring diagram in the FSM, the source for this signal is from a 10A fuse that is gated by the reverse switch on the transmission. So that means that it can also power the camera. My thought was to use that extra wire that is part of so many rear view camera wiring kits to deliver the power from the reverse signal to the camera in the back of the car so I don't have to splice anything. I would also use the reverse signal to trigger the aftermarket head unit into rear view camera mode. This allows the camera to only be on when in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
I cant understand the reason to have it on when not in reverse...
Yeah, the only thing I thought of that might be useful is the ability to display it while driving, but maybe that's a dumb idea that would never be used. My current plan is outlined above. Maybe if I really want the camera on while driving, I can add a switch that power OR's the reverse signal with ACC to trigger rear view mode on the head unit and power the camera.
radensb is offline   Reply With Quote