View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #150 (permalink)
Dentt42
Base Member

Drives: 2012 G37 black 6spd
Dentt42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
This is the slowest part of getting the kits rolling out. This is cast aluminum. We are working on the best way to MFG this in volume. In the mean time we are creating these like we did before, but it is difficult. I plan to have a few of them ready late January, with a fleet in February.

The tube bender showed up today! So we will begin production on the front bash bar for these kits.

Is your G a Coupe or Sedan? It will fit a Coupe. The sedan is sitting in my garage for fitment and adjustments once kits for the Z roll out.
It's a Sport coupe, and that's all I needed to know. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
I wouldn't put too much concern into the crash bar.

If you modify the stock aluminum one, you'll likely have extensive collateral damage in a minor impact, possibly the IC and condenser colliding and damaging each other. A modified aluminum crash bar will be much weaker.

If you have a custom-made tube bar setup, some impact energy may go directly into the bumper mounts and frame rails causing even worse, more expensive damage in certain situations, and likely the clearance between a custom bar and the intercooler may mean that you may still end up with IC and condenser damage along with possible frame damage if the tubes transmit too much crash energy into the frame. There's a reason the stock bar is aluminum, it's nice and squishy, relatively speaking.

There's a decent amount of squish area behind our plastic/aluminum front end, stuffing a fat intercooler into that area is going to bring trade-offs one way or the other.

I think the tube crash bar will be fine for very low speed impacts.
That's all good info to mull over. Your last line about low speed impact is the scenario I was imagining, where a bump that would normally cause superficial damage results in a crunched condenser or whatever.
Dentt42 is offline   Reply With Quote