View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #1978 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
Sad to see the news ............

If you are going to start again, start with an R35 (VR38) block .....

Can I also suggest that you need two tunes in the car .... one with "enough" boost for fun-DD and another for "mega-grin factor".

There was a time when I had to build 3 race engines (starting with new blocks following catasrophic engine failure) in one season before biting the bullet and retiring the wet sump and going dry-sump, so I understand the frustration. I eventually stepped out of competition for the season and spent time researching and "building it right". I had some really robust conversations with my engine-builder and lots of phone calls and discussions with others who had been down my road (my race engine was based on the Buick 215 alloy V8 which was the genesis of the Repco-Brabham F1 engine in the 60's) and I found a heap of research available. Not wishing to say anything about MA but there are a few guys here in Oz who run VQ35HR TT engines in off-road buggies and they all run 600-700 HP for extended WoT). Check out the Finke Desert Race as an example of arduous duty - but these guys limit their boost to aid reliability hence my suggestion for 2 tunes - OR start with a VR block. There is a shop in South Australia who are doing a billet VR block but it is a serious investment.

Blowing the bottom hose off suggests you've got boost/combustion pressure into the water jacket so head gasket clamping pressure is the key and I suspect a VQ block - even with closed deck sleeves is never going to be 100%.

Hence the suggestion of a VR38 block as the basis of doing it again.

Two quotes to remember ...

"Good luck with your project"

and

Look after SWMBO unless you want to find out how much your half of the house is worth !!!
LOL, I am leaning on a couple VQ35DE guys. I think they have had it figured out for a long time. The problem with the VQ37VHR guys is many people have had issues and just swept it under the rug to save face, so to speak. I have however decided to just be transparent no matter how much it hurts. There are a list of high HP guys who have all had blown headgasket issues. They do a dyno number and then they are gone. Some sell out and some rebuild and you hardly ever see the car being driven again. You never hear of them mention any problems. They still act like they have a high HP car and they don't. I was running two different boost levels. I am good with the power level that I had, now to figure out how to make it live. Most high HP cars are not even driven. They mall crawl or whatever. They can do what they want but that is not my thang. The only car being driven similar to mine is Freshhkiicks. I am not sure of his HP level. He had headgasket issues at 10k. My wife is good for now. This can't continue though.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote