View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
If the "noise" is actually slight ripples in voltage, it will smooth them to a certain degree, but this is not "Audible noise".
I have not seen a single article that states that a stiffening cap will help reduce noise. Not even from a manufacturer trying to sell them.
I would think that if it were in fact a benefit of using a capacitor, every manufacturer would shout it from the rooftops to try to sell one more unit.
As I said, power caps are not installed for noise filtering. A filtering cap should be be installed as close to the equipment as possible - all power caps I've seen are installed in the engine compartment. But it still provides some filtering.

Most manufacturers already have quite a bit of noise suppression designed into their products (on power and audio). They know the units will be operating in an electrically noisy environment. If you need to add caps for noise, you have a problem elsewhere (eg, speaker wires run too close to the ECM, faulty voltage regulator, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
In my opinion, Stiffening caps are snake oil, and if your sound system is ridiculous enough that you need additional help, a second battery, or upgraded alternator may be in order.
On this, we agree.